Every year, I set themes to give myself direction. In 2023, I have 2 main themes:
- I want to highlight more people around me. I don't want to talk about myself all the time. There are so many cool people - I want to grow together!
- I'd rather be a purple cow. Huh? Purple cow? Let me tell you more!
I think I have a decent "good people sensor". As we chatted about the sponsorship, we got to know each other more and eventually got on a call!
On the call, Yong Soo told me about Seth Godin's book, Purple Cow. The concept "you’re either remarkable or invisible" got stuck in my mind ...
So much that I couldn't stop using the term "I'm going to purple cow this" and "I'm going to purple cow that".
Let me share with you my plan to be remarkable in 2023.
I reflected on some of the things I did in 2022, and I was playing it safe.
For example, I did a branding project to upgrade Public Lab's image and I wanted to play it safe by having the symbol of people & community in my logo. Logical thinking right?
Another example was the free Build in Public bootcamp I run every quarter. I wanted to play it safe so I referenced someone I thought was "bigger than me". It was ... a bit too smart in a way that I felt overly promotional. Didn't like it.
So for my bootcamp this week, I decided to do it my way and jam-packed so much value. I felt I did a remarkable job, and 3 people immediately signed up to Build in Public Mastery. Crazy!
I was thinking about why we tend to play it safe by following what works for others. I thought maybe it is because sometimes being different attracts a special kind of feedback & criticism. So we're afraid. It is normal.
But getting into 2023, I want to STAND OUT!
I want to be the purple cow for everything I do, like:
- I am doubling down on my broccoli brand! This is my purple cow in the feeling I give.
- I am going to revise my website & emails so they are different! This is my purple cow in my messaging & communication.
- I'm going to see how I can create a purple cow lead magnet - no idea how but let's see.
I also want to help you find your purple cow. It comes down to:
- [Step 1] You find 1 thing about you, e.g. your playfulness, transparency, attention to quality, customer service, a key thing important to you
- [Step 2] Do the extreme. Don't settle for good. So that people go "WOW!"
- [Step 3] Make it part of you and use it often. This way it becomes part of your identity. People will remember you.
To wrap up, I have some examples I want to share too!
Marie takes the extreme in featuring her llama in her product and marketing. I can't forget it!
Justin's energy is contagious. His content is useful plus he is fun to watch, no wonder he is growing nicely.
I know it is hard to be different and take the bold path, but will you join me to be purple cows in 2023?
Let's do it :)!